My friend and colleague Lonnie B. Hodge, who is based in Guangzhou, China, doesn’t just “think outside the square” – he left the square thinkers behind long ago. And he is always coming up with bright ideas and often I find in the morning that he has implemented them overnight. I try to keep up, but I don’t think he sleeps.
Lonnie’s latest idea – or rather, the latest one I know of – is the Social Media Consultants site.
This has been launched to provide a space for social media consultants and PR 2.0 specialists to be more easily found by potential clients and business collaborators, with specific attention to being findable by geographic location and specialization. We also see it as a virtual coffee shop for discussion – via blog posts and comments right now – of matters of common interest.
We’ve started out with a WordPress site, because that was relatively easy to get up and running without a whole lot of configuring and with minimum palaver.
We’ve issued general invitations via Twitter and plan to get the word out as widely as we can. We’re encouraging those responding positively to post about who they are and what they do and to use social media tools, including audio and video, in the process, and to list and link to their Twitter, LinkedIn and other links.
Basic requirements to be able to participate are as simple as we could make them:
- You should have an active blog that you update regularly (we too are guilty of not nearly enough updates, but we’d like you to have a presence on the net)
- You must have worked in or been active in Social Media or PR 2.0 for at least a year.
Have we worked out all the rules of engagement, moderation, etc? Absolutely not. We are truly making it up as we go along and we know that will bother some and please others.
One thing we do know is that we want it to be truly international. Which means that, among other things, language is going to become an issue at some point.
Along with all the other issues. In the meantime, we are having fun.
And there is no fee – and never will be – for consultants and specialists to list themselves on the site.
And note that if you are a startup or the provider of an established social media platform you are welcome also to contact us about listing some informative information (as distinct from a pitch).
Latest posts by Des Walsh (see all)
- Pressing the Reset Button for a New Life Phase - March 14, 2018
- Using Social Media Organically | Facebook Page Reach Changes | Social Media Terminology :: Social Business Bites #175 - February 14, 2018
- I Didn’t Fully Realise How Restless I Was, Working Solo, Until I Joined a Great Team - February 5, 2018